Sunday, June 10, 2007

Golden Girls

Hey

I thought my first post should be about my favorite TV show ever - Golden Girls. The pilot was not the best episode, but its too hard to choose my favorite, so I thought I'd just choose the first one. In the pilot, they had a gay housekeeper/cook, Coco but he was dropped before the regular season. Thank goodness, because his role in this episode is just to be an extra body. He plays no part in any of the jokes, or in the character development.
Rose plays the role of a grief counselor as she counsels Blanche through the devastating ending to this episode. Sophia arrives from in a cab from the home that burned down. Now, people, the woman is elderly and in a home because she had a stork that rendered her, as Dorothy put it, "completely annoying." If the retirement home burns down, would they really let their residents just hop in cabs off to wherever they want?
Well Sophia arrives just as Blanche is about to go out with Harry, who has proposed to her. Now, I was just a little one when this episode came out, but was the audience so gullible as to believe that one of the main characters would be married off in the pilot? This storyline fails to pass the gut check to this avid and devoted watcher.
Despite the poor plot idea, the episode ends with Dorothy, Rose and Blanche agreeing to always stay together - even if one of them gets married. With 25 million viewers, this first episode of Golden Girls launches a seven season long friendship that is nothing less than heart warming and inspiring. Maybe that's why it's my favorite show - a bunch of woman live together who do nothing but make fun of each other, but in the end (or at least at the end of 25 minutes), they go back to being live long friends. It also helps that this show is totally hysterical.

Thank you for being a reader!

2 comments:

Sarah Ellery said...

It's fun to play the "Which Golden Girl would you be?" game. Me, I'm a combination of all 4, with a little extra Dorothy in me as I get older and more sarcastic. Although I do look forward to actually becoming an old woman so I can be just like Sophia. You?

OffsideSarah said...

I love the golden girls! Although I had no idea about the pilot. Do you own the seasons!