Saturday, April 25, 2009

Golden Girls loss



Most notable "It would not be until season three that Arthur would win that Emmy bookend. With Getty also winning that night, the quartet joined "All in the Family" in the Emmy record book as the only sitcoms with an entirely award-winning cast. ("Will & Grace" would become the third such show when Debra Messing finally won her Emmy in 2003.) "

I just want to say that Golden Girls is a ground breaking show for lots of reasons; first recurring gay character; first prime time show to deal with women's sexuality in that way; and amongst the winningnest ever. These three shows that hold these records are all ground breaking in terms of material. Do they have that in common or just an incredible cast?

Although my favorite Golden Girl was Sophia (Estelle Getty), who sadly also passed, its hard to imagine my life without watching this show constantly. I hope Bea Arthur, as well as Estelle Getty, is always remembered for her contribution to the discussion of important issues of society and family. I know I will never forget what this show means to me.

No comments: